ABOUT SCARAB DIGITAL
Are you ready for superheroes, science fiction, time travel, space travel, and rom-coms? Scarab Digital is a fun and driven creative studio that makes awesome interactive motion graphics and provides equipment rental services for the film and television industry. For over 20 years, our Vancouver-based team has been collaborating with our clients to transform their creative vision into reality.
We are currently looking for an experienced VIRTUAL PRODUCTION TECHNICAL DIRECTOR to join our team!
THE ROLE: VIRTUAL PRODUCTION TECHNICAL DIRECTOR
SOME OF THE THINGS YOU WILL DO:
- Main point of contact between the Unreal artists team and the engineering/technical team regarding operational needs/upgrades/equipment requests
- Operation of Scarab’s Virtual Production tool set; improvement and development where needed
- Outline deliverables from Virtual Production to post-VFX
- Support teams to achieve corroboration of look and scene performance, with digital assets for ingest, and scene setup
- Involve in troubleshooting, development, and improvement; communicating changes for a range of issues to streamline workflows and process
- Own and analyze post-production of data derived from capture techniques, including processing, and applying motion capture data, 3D scan data, photogrammetric images and other data types
- On-Set work:
○ Ensure the look and placement of characters, set dressing, and digital environments are equivalent to real world comparable
○ Establish connection and calibration of virtual camera(s) to live action camera(s)
○ Make necessary adjustments to scene, including lighting, animation, set dressing, and color correction, establishing the success of key creatives on-set,
○ Route video signals for display, monitor, and recording
○ Report of all issues to engineering, act as conduit to ensure timely resolution
- Oversee the Brain Bar operation and the operators
- On-set film experience
- Ability to understand and assist in project management and budgeting when needed
- Extensive Unreal Engine knowledge, VFX production / pipeline experience
- Creativeness and resourcefulness - great problem-solving skills, ability to troubleshoot, diagnose and solve complex issues with assets in a VFX pipeline
- Ability to execute technical challenges and tasks while remaining calm under pressure
- Highly organized - can handle multiple tasks, effectively prioritize workload, and remain agile
- Technically proficient in multiple disciplines
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
BONUS POINTS IF YOU HAVE:
- Experience with production/project tracking applications, such as Wrike
- Previous experience in Games, Virtual Production, Themed Entertainment or Visual Effects or a related industry
THIS IS WHY PEOPLE WORK AT SCARAB DIGITAL
- We are a Strengths-Based culture and are passionate about our team working in their Strengths Zone.
- We are always honing our craft and striving to do better.
- We strive for flow state. Better yet: Hive Mind flow state.
- Get to be part of the exciting and growing Vancouver film industry.
- Get to work on creative projects that start as an idea and end up being shared with millions of people.
- Professional development is encouraged, and an allowance is provided to cover costs.